The Weekly Journal, Midterm, Facilitations, Presentation, and Final assignments are interconnected and build off each other over the course of the semester. Your journal serves as the backbone for your understanding, reflection, and application of course material, guiding both your Midterm and Final projects. At the end of the semester, you’ll present a draft of your Final project to the class in a presentation.
Regular feedback will be provided to ensure alignment with course goals and objectives.
Grading Scales & Rubrics
|D & F
Your writing is clear, but needs a little polish. You're missing one requirement.
Your writing isn't entirely clear and you're missing more than one requirement.
We should discuss your grade
A few more rounds of editing and you'll be ready to publish
Work on the structure and developing a clear thesis to improve
Let's set up some time to talk
Qualities of an A Paper
- Essay controlled by a clear, precise, well-defined thesis: is sophisticated in both statement and insight
- Explicitly connects the prompt insightfully to context
- Cogent analysis
- Shows command of interpretive and conceptual tasks required by assignment and course materials
- Ideas are original and insightful
- Building on discussion, lecture, and reading assignments
- Persuasive reasoning develops and support thesis
- Examines the topic and its context deeply and carefully in order to inform thoughtful analysis
- Well-chosen examples from assigned readings support development of thesis
- You're showing, not telling
- Clear introduction and conclusion paragraphs
- Arrangement of paragraphs seems particularly apt
- Appropriate, clear and smooth transitions
- Excellent use of topic sentences
- Avoids "absolutes" in statements and defaults to accurate phrases
- Uses sophisticated sentences effectively (not necessarily long or complex sentences)
- Usually chooses words aptly
- Observe conventions of written English
- Few minor or technical errors
- Using active verbs as opposed to adverbs
- Use active sentences as opposed to passive sentences